Sunday, March 4, 2012

Fresh Bread

A little taste of local life...this is the best tandoor in Bishkek, and it's only 5 minutes from our apartment. We stopped here on the way home from church this morning for some delicious warm lapyoshka. The tandoor oven is in a pit in front of the baker. You could live contentedly on this bread, as, in fact, we do.

(My flatmate thinks this baker is extremely cute and particularly likes to buy bread when he's working. He was very shy about getting his photo taken.)


2 comments:

  1. hmmm, I prefer bread=) get me the recipe, Erin!=))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will try! But my understanding is that the secret lies in the mud used to make the oven: only a certain type of Kyrgyz mud will produce the right texture and flavour. Shall I look into exporting some to St Pete's for you? :)

    ReplyDelete